Friday, April 10, 2009

Tornadoes here in Rutherford County

It was a scary Good Friday. This is the closest any tornado has hit since we moved here in 2002. As the crow flies, the Blackman area that was hit hard is about 5-6 miles south of me. I thank God for sparing my neighborhood. I pray for the family who lost a mother with her 3 month old baby.

As the news broadcast the weather warnings live, and with the weather alert radio going off every ten minutes(seemingly), my daughter and I huddled in the bathroomt(yes, with the cat too). I could tell eventually that the worst of it would pass south of us. And then WKRN, news channel 2, showed a TDOT video of the huge tornado passing just north of Hwy 96 across Interstate 24 I breathed a small sigh of relief. For us at least. The worst was past and "big one" was at least 5 miles to the south.

And then I started figuring out what would be in its path. I knew it would cross Stones River Battlefield(and sure enough there are reports of many trees down there now). It took a diagonal path and headed towards the VA Hospital at Compton Rd and Hwy 231. There are so many homes destroyed. As much as the photographer in me wants to document this, I will heed the call of the Sheriff and PD to stay off the roads.

We had planned to travel some backroads to do some grave hunting tomorrow, but I'm not certain that will happen now. Perhaps next weekend we can get out to check on the status of any cemeteries in that path.

Oh, and now I find out that Rutherford County has had more reported tornadoes than any other county in Middle Tennessee since tornadoes began being tracked. Yikes.

Just adding in: cemeteries possibly in the path of the tornado:

Stones River National Cemetery, Old Nashville Hwy
Wade Cemetery, Thompson Lane
McFadden Cemetery, Van Cleve Ln
Mitchell Cemetery, Haynes Dr
Green Cemetery, Sulphur Springs Rd
Watkins Cemetery, Hwy 231
Rucker-Pitts Cemetery, Compton Rd
Emery Cemetery, Compton Rd

I hope to get out and check on them as soon as possible.

No comments: