Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Looking into the past

I thought I'd spend some time and pixels on posting some of my genealogy information, in the hopes that maybe someone out there googling for the same people might stumble across this page.

I'm going to start on my mother's side, I know more about it. Going back a few generations brings me to the following(I will call where I am starting "generation 1"):

Generation 1
  • Emanuel Clayton Shriner(1873-1942, Maryland) married Mary Carter(1891-1915, Indiana), probably in California and probably in 1909 or 1910. They are found, married but living as lodgers with someone else, in the 1910 census. They are buried in Oakdale Cemetery, Glendora, California

Generation 2
  • Emanuel Shriner(1827-1897, Maryland) married Adeline Wetzel(1832-??, Maryland). They are found in the 1880 census living near Emmitsburg, Frederick County, Maryland. Emanuel is buried in Friends Creek Cemetery, Friends Creek, Maryland. Not certain where Adeline is buried. Adeline is in the 1900 census as widowed, but I do not find her as a 'Shriner' in the 1910 census. Possibly she died in this time frame.


Generation 3
  • Peter Shriner(1800-1860, Maryland) married Sarah Jane Fleagle(1805-1860, Maryland). They are buried in Friends Creek Cemetery, Friends Creek, Maryland. Sarah's last name found through other people's information found on Familysearch.org or Worldconnect.rootsweb.com; I cannot confirm it yet through any documents. Sarah died before the 1860 census was taken, and I do not find them in the 1850 census.


Generation 4
  • the parents of Peter Shriner are unknown. Johan Valentin Fleagle(1762-1845, Maryland) is the father of Sarah Fleagle, assuming she is indeed Peter Shriner's spouse. Johan was a fifer in the Revolutionary War and has a Revolutionary War Veteran marker on his tombstone. He married Margaret E. Hahn(1770-1842, Maryland). They are buried in Baust Church Cemetery, Tyrone, Maryland. The surname is also seen as Fleegle, Fluegle, Flegal, Flugel, and possibly other similar ways of spelling.



That is all I will post for today.It's about all I know on this section of my family. I'm sure the way I typed that all up isn't the 'right way', but as long as I get the information out there.

I started here because Mary Carter is my most mysterious roadblock. Even in a 1947 written family tree, her parents are listed as 'unknown'. She had one brother(as far as anyone knows), Harry, born in 1887. He died in 1912. In 1900, at age 13, he is listed as being an 'inmate' at the Julia E Work Training School/Brightside Orphanage. This "school" was for orphans, troubled kids, and mentally challenged children. *IF* he was an orphan, Mary(who would be 9 years old), is not listed as being there as well. He died young, age 25, so it is possible he had a disorder that made him difficult to keep at home. Or he could have just been a bad kid. However, even after searching nearly every Carter household in Indiana, I have not been able to locate Mary in order to find out who her parents were. She died when her only son was 3 years old, so perhaps once I order the death certificate I will find out more. Until then, I like getting this information out there...just in case!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Were you ever able to find info about Her marriage certificate is dated 4 Jan 1910 and her parents are listed as Willus Carter and Hattie Goodrich. They are both Indiana