Friday, January 25, 2008

And now a rant or two

First things first...to give an indication of time flying by for me lately, I thought for sure I had visited this place and taken some pictures a few months ago-turns out it was over a year ago, closer to 15 months. Sheesh.

So I am at the library yesterday and see a new book, Images of 19th Century Rutherford County: Its Homes and People by Barry Lamb and I can't help but sit and look through it. It's only a research copy, not able to check out, that's ok though. As I look through it I am amazed at the number of houses he has photos of and I am just in love with them. Then I find one that I was expecting to find. The McCulloch House, site of the headquarters for Confederate General William J Hardee.

(this photo was taken in 2005)
And it says what I had feared(since I haven't actually been down to Murfreesboro in awhile-apparently), it has been razed. I had heard that some people were trying to save it, I guess they could not. It angers me to no end when I hear about these things. Man if only I could win the lottery or something so I could save them myself. Hearing about this just kills me inside. At least I got some photos of it. This and the Jenkins house. And with all the new construction and malls going up on the Stones River Battlefield, it makes me cringe every time I go anywhere near it. Progress sucks.

I think I'll leave it at that for now. I've got some things to do. If I think about something else to rant about, I'll be back.

No comments: