Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Excellent map source

I have recently discovered an excellent map to search for cemeteries. It is located on the Rutherford County website. It is called a GIS map and when zoomed in to a low enough level shows the zoning map for the entire county. More often that not, cemeteries show up as small squares on the map. Mousing over them gives the information that it is indeed a cemetery-often showing the name of the cemetery and sometimes even the exact address. It can also show who owns the land/property surrounding a cemetery, though that doesn't always help when it comes to contacting someone about it. My general motto is, that if it cannot be seen from the road and is on private property, then I will likely never see it. Unless of course progress steps in(see post below!).

It can be time-consuming, going over so much area. I spent five hours looking over it yesterday and I only looked at the Smyrna, LaVergne and northern Murfreesboro areas. I will likely use this tool to get as much information as I can for cemeteries that I have yet to find when I list them on my website.

I am now very curious to see if there are GIS maps available for any surrounding counties, perhaps to aid in my hunt for the graves of Revolutionary War Soldiers of Williamson County.

No comments: