Thursday, March 24, 2005

Old graves found on Almaville site being cleared for schools

Old graves found on Almaville site being cleared for schools - Wednesday, 03/23/05

That's right, they found the elusive Morton Cemetery that I had wanted to search for. I had been a couple times before, but due to "no trespassing" signs, I had held back. (not that that stops me all the time ;)) And had no idea that this was going to be the location for the new schools here. I had figured it would be more subdivisions(as it is surrounded by). I had also heard that the new schools were going to be along Almaville Rd. So I kept driving up and down Almaville Rd looking for construction. Then the newspaper story hits, and it is on Channel 2 news. Well, at least they are going to treat them with respect and not just pave over them. I hate that they have to move them at all, but unfortunately that is progress. We have a quickly growing county, and with over 700 little graveyards all over-it is eventual that this will happen. At least care is being taken to remember them. Good deal there.

No comments: