Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Labor Day weekend-short trip

Had a really good day on Saturday. Sort of out of the blue, hubby says 'why don't we go down and visit Shiloh again?' Cool! I'm not feeling 100% still, but I cannot pass up a day trip!

We went down the Natchez Trace to near Waynesboro. Hit a gas station, "Jugs", just off the Trace in order to grab some more sodas and a snack-it was about 10am. The very nice fella that ran the place had a very cool story about this outlaw who was buried in an unusual place down in Florence, Alabama. Very interesting story. And I found an old candy bar there with Brad Paisley on it!

So we head on to Shiloh. Nice, not too bad of a day, not too hot. Took loads of photos, though I always wish I had more time to take loads more. Some of the park was off-limits due to some "construction" or something, and it was quite busy-busier than I expected. Nice to see the excellent new Tennessee state monument.

After we left, we went a round-about way back to Savannah, by going south and around across the Pickwick Dam. As we headed back into Savannah looking for some place for lunch, we decide to eat at Darryl Worley's restaurant, the Worleybird Cafe. It was great! Prices were good, and so was the food. I had a grilled chicken on Texas toast with Swiss cheese. Yum! The inside is absolutely covered top to bottom in DW memorabilia and photos! And the table we sat at-was right beside a photo of DW onstage with Brad Paisley! I kid you not!

So after we leave Savannah, I got an idea...I want to see this very unique burial place in Florence, AL. How could I not? I've never been to Florence before, and I can only hope we actually FIND the right cemetery, but we had to try! It was only about 40 miles away. So we head on down to Florence. And with absolutely no knowledge and no good map of this town(a decent sized town, which surprised me), we DID manage to find the right cemetery! And sure enough, there out front is the historical marker telling about the outlaw who preyed on the locals during the Civil War. He boasted that "No one would EVER run over him". And when he was finally caught, tried, and hung-the locals had him buried in the center of the main street outside the cemetery so that EVERYONE could run over him! Heh. I would loved to have stayed and taken loads more photos there, but it was getting late and we still had a long ride home.

All in all in was an excellent day. And I really felt good for awhile. I'm back to feeling like crap now, but the fresh air and distraction was nice. I may post some photos later.

No comments: