Friday, May 23, 2008

Stonewall Jackson Cemetery, Lexington, Virginia

Just wanted to spotlight the awesome cemetery that is Stonewall Jackson Cemetery in Lexington, Virginia. Aside from the mass of bugs that I fought there one summer, it is probably my favorite that I've ever visited and I wish I had more time to visit it again. I've been three times so far, paying my respects to the General and trying to look at as many of the headstones as possible. The first time I was there I attempted to photograph as many of the Confederates as possible-they are marked with the crosses that make them easy to find. And there are hundreds there. I suppose so many wanted to be buried near Jackson. The last time I was there I spent time in the older section of the graveyard. Several Revolutionary War vets are buried here. The photo shows one of the more interesting older marker. Looks to be hieroglyphics near the bottom of the marker, though it probably has something to do with mortality or maybe even Mason symbols. I love the older markers. I love this cemetery.

No comments: